Alliteration has always been my jam. I like throwing out a bunch of words that start with the same letter, and in this case, I really like throwing together a bunch of delicious ingredients that start with the same letter. Because this salad with Broccoli, Brussels, Berries and Beets is the BEST salad you’ll try all summer. See what I did, there?
I’d given a little preview of this salad in my post visiting Ocean Mist Farms last month! That was such a neat trip and solidified my love for artichokes even more. I also learned that Ocean Mist Farms actually grows more than 30 fresh vegetables and this salad was created from many of the goodies they kindly sent my way!
During the same trip, I had the unexpected pleasure of getting to visit California Giant Berry Farms and pick fresh strawberries, blackberries and raspberries! I feel like that should have been on my bucket list- it was such a delicious, juicy and educational experience! And since I came home with a bunch of juicy strawberries, they were the perfect sweet addition to this summer salad.
One of the best things about this salad is it’s not heavily coated in mayo or another thick dressing. I love a good broccoli slaw or even a “Brussels slaw” (Ocean Mist makes Brussels Sprouts Shreds- such a time saver!), but so many of those salads are high fat (not the good kind) and end up super soggy, if served at a potluck or picnic. This salad is fresh, crunchy and is topped with a light cherry balsamic vinaigrette that is equally tangy as it is sweet, without any added sugars. It takes just a few minutes to whip together and you can get the recipe here. You can also serve any vinaigrette if you’re short on time!
Berry Broccoli Brussels Salad with Cherry Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 6 cups finely chopped broccoli (1 very large head should make about 6 cups)
- 6 cups Brussels Sprouts shreds (Ocean Mist Farms sells these already shredded!)
- 1 cup pecans, chopped and preferably toasted
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup cooked beets, chopped (I always use vacuum packed, Love Beets)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Chop 1 cup pecans and place on foil lined baking sheet. Toast in the oven for about 5 minutes or until fragrant, watching carefully so they don’t burn. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Using a grader or sharp knife, grade or shred the broccoli and Brussels sprouts. Combine both in a large serving bowl.
- Cut the strawberries and beets. Combine with the blueberries and pecans and place on top of the shredded broccoli and Brussels Sprouts.
- Make the Cherry Balsamic Vinaigrette or use a dressing of your choice. Decide if you want to enjoy this as a salad or slaw. To enjoy as a slaw, toss all the ingredients with the Cherry Balsamic Vinaigrette. To enjoy as a salad, keep the fruit and nuts on top of the bed of greens and drizzle the dressing on top. Serve as a side dish or add a protein source on top to make a complete meal!
Pin for later: