I’ll let you in on a little secret. Does mug cake always look this pretty right after it’s made? Ehh..mine don’t. BUT, I flipped the cake upside down. It took just a few seconds to run a knife along the edge of the cake to loosen it out onto a paper towel and set it back inside the mug with the prettier part on display. If you’re at home in your PJs enjoying mug cake for one, it probably doesn’t matter. If you’re serving up some mug cake on the fly during a brunch, flip that sucker upside down!
Food puns are seriously the best. And I was in a jam during the initial mug cake recipe testing process. For some ridiculous reason I actually grabbed my mug that says “Coffee makes me poop” and then the microwave explosion happened in said mug. It was just all kinds of wrong.
This recipe and photography experience turned out to be super fun learning experience. I even tried out a new camera lens I bought 18 months ago (yet hadn’t used yet..silly, me!), and tried to make it rain powdered sugar on the mug cakes. I wouldn’t say I’ve mastered the powdered sugar action shot, but it was a fun attempt! And with enough attempts, you end up with a pretty little snow storm on your mug cake, so that’s a win in my book!
Berry Vanilla Mug Cakes (GF, DF)
- 1/4 cup gluten-free 1:1 Baking Flour (I like Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 Tbsp coconut sugar or sugar of choice
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 egg white
- 3 Tbsp 3 Tbsp milk of choice (I love Ripple milk)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup mixed berries + extra for topping
- Powdered sugar for dusting, if desired
- In small bowl, mix flour, sugar and baking soda together with whisk. Set aside.
- In a 12oz or larger coffee mug, heat coconut oil in microwave for 15-20 seconds until fully melted.
- Add egg white, milk and vanilla extract to melted coconut oil.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients in coffee mug and mix well, scraping sides as needed to make sure all flour is thoroughly mixed. Mix in berries.
- Heat for 90-120 seconds, depending on your microwave’s power.
- Remove from microwave and top with additional berries and a light dusting of powdered sugar, if desired. Enjoy immediately!
Pin for later: