Bursting with flavor, these ginger curry rice bowls are the perfect blend of a lettuce wrap and rice bowl with cool cucumber and mango balancing out the slight spice of the curried meat and rice!
I had the hardest time naming this recipe, much less figuring out the SEO for the post, hah. It’s difficult to describe because depending on how you choose to enjoy the dish, it’s either like beef lettuce wraps or a ginger curry beef bowl. But one thing is for sure- the flavors from the ginger and curry are incredible and not overly hot so even little eaters can enjoy this beautiful and easy dish.
I’d like to think maybe I created a new type of dish- where lettuce wraps and rice bowls basically had a baby called Ginger Curry Rice Bowls. But ultimately you can create and enjoy this however you want. It also works really well with almost any ground meat, but we often use ground venison because our freezer is full of it.
If you’re wondering how hot is the curry, it’s not hot at all. I was super skeptical of cooking with curry at all and I’m one of those “take it or leave it” kind of people when it comes to curry but this is the perfect intro dish if you’re just dabbling in curry. I would also suggest giving my Curried Curried Chicken Salad Cups a try as another easing into curry recipe!
KISS Tip: Save recipe by pre-steaming rice the day before or using an instant rice packet. You can also cook the prep the meat earlier in the week and that will cut down on cook time as well!
Would love to know what you think about the flavor of this dish if you make it and also if you prefer lettuce wraps in the bowl or just the bowl itself!
Ginger Curry Rice Bowls
- 2 cups white rice
- 1 lb. ground meat of choice
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 lime, squeezed
- 1 Tbsp jarred, minced garlic
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 large mango, chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, deseeded and chopped (yields 1 1/4 cup chopped)
- 8 butter lettuce leaves
- Prepare the white rice with your method of choice*
- While rice is cooking, deseed and chop the bell peppers, cucumber, cilantro, and mango if needed.**
- In a large pan, cook the ground meat until it begins to brown.
- Add in the avocado oil, chopped bell peppers, and garlic and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes. Then add the squeezed lime, curry powder, ginger powder, salt, and coconut aminos and cook for another 5 minutes or until bell peppers are tender.
- After everything in the pan is done cooking, add the chopped cilantro and toss to evenly distribute.
- Once the rice is done cooking, distribute it among four bowls, add the meat and pepper mixture, and then top with fresh mango and cucumber. Enjoy!
Pin for later: