Disclosure: KISS In the Kitchen received one or more of the products mentioned for evaluation purposes. All opinions expressed are my own.
Are you seeing what I’m seeing? Do you like muffins? Peaches? Like to eat? Keep reading.
I’ve been on the hunt for a new muffin recipe. I’m a huge fan of muffins that aren’t overly sweet, have a hearty whole wheat flavor and big chunks of fresh fruit that give a muffin a juicy burst in every bite.
I have found that recipe. Truvia® sent me some of their Brown Sugar Blend and I’m a fan. It sweetens and bakes just like brown sugar, but with less sugar.
So when I found a recipe on their website that met all the aforementioned muffin criteria AND had an oatmeal streusel topping… I was sold. And for all the peach lovers out there, brace yourself. It’s goin’ down for real.
The only negative is I can’t stop eating them. Liiiiike, there’s streusel on my keyboard.
KISS Tip #1: Peel the peaches with a pairing knife to get most the skin off- fruit skin in muffins can be a tad strange.
KISS Tip#2: This is what “folding” looks like- you can tell the batter is not over-mixed and each peach isn’t buried in batter. Too much stirring = tough muffins.
I deviated slightly from the recipe, by increasing the cinnamon (about 1 tsp in the batter), using rolled oats instead of quick-cooking and I chose coconut oil for the fat source.
Peach Muffins with Streusel Topping
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, canola oil or melted butter
- 1/4 cup Truvía® Brown Sugar Blend
- 3/4 cup lowfat buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups peeled and diced fresh peaches
Oat Streusel Topping
- 3 Tbsp quick-cooking oats
- 2 Tbsp white whole wheat flour
- 2 Tbsp Truvía® Brown Sugar Blend
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp firm butter
- Heat oven to 400°F. Line 12 medium muffin cups with paper liners or grease with butter or shortening. Make Oat-Streusel Topping; set aside.
- Combine egg, oil Truvía® Brown Sugar Blend, and buttermilk in medium mixing bowl.
- Mix flour, soda, cinnamon and salt in small bowl. Add to mixture in large bowl. Fold in peaches. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups; sprinkle with Oat-Streusel Topping.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.