Spring will be here before we know it and this Instant Pot Chicken Soup is the perfect light soup for the end of winter! The flavor in this soup is phenomenal even though it didn’t take all day to cook (thanks, Instant Pot!) and here’s just something about fresh shredded chicken with a ton of creamy avocado that makes for an incredible soup experience. This Whole Roasted Chicken is where I get the pulled chicken from, but you can grab a rotisserie chicken also as another shortcut to give you more time with the family and less time in the kitchen!
Why Use an Instant Pot for Soup?
We all know the Instant Pot is a huge time saver, but can it work well for soups? YES! The Instant Pot is especially fantastic for soups and anything that would normally take hours to prepare. From soups to roasts (this Balsamic Pot Roast from Fed & Fit is my favorite and we make it every month!), the Instant Pot is your best friend. This Instant Pot chicken soup will use the “soup” setting but if you forget or prefer to use “Pressure Cook”, that’s fine too! Since Instant Pots have multiple settings, I found this article helpful on how to use each one!
KISS Tip: Ladle out just the chicken and veggies for a delicious soft taco filling!
Are you afraid to use the Instant Pot?
I used to be terrified of my Instant Pot and it sat in its box for the first 2 months after it arrived on our porch. I lucked out and bought one during a Black Friday sale, but it took until the end of January before it even came out of the the box. I can’t even take credit for that though. My best friend Brittany visited us for our daughter’s baby blessing and I had her school me on all things Instant Pot. I used to it to make all of Joy’s baby led weaning meals and it’s now my go-to during the week to make easy fruits and vegetables, soup and much more!
I hope you’re motivated to use your Instant Pot more or just excited to try a new Instant Pot Chicken Soup recipe! Anything that saves you time in the kitchen while tasting amazing and packed with nutrition is always a win, right? If you’re looking for another recipe that will save you time, this Whole Roasted Chicken is a breeze. Plus you can use the leftovers for this recipe or even chicken salad!
KISS Instant Pot Chicken Avocado Soup
- Instant Pot
- 4 cups shredded chicken (I used rotisserie chicken)
- 3/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 14.5 oz can organic fire-roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- 64 oz organic chicken broth
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- Lime wedges
- Add the shredded chicken, green onions, cilantro, garlic, fire-roasted tomatoes, chicken broth, cumin, salt and pepper to the Instant Pot.
- Stir all of the ingredients to make sure everything is well-distributed.
- Lock the lid and press the “Soup” button and set it to cook for 20 minutes under high pressure. (It will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure before it starts cooking).
- When the soup is finished cooking, manually release the pressure (“Quick Release”).
- Once the pressure is released, add the diced avocados directly to the Instant Pot and stir.
- Top each bowl with your desired toppings and enjoy!
Pin for later: