We got a cold snap this morning and I’m seeing Instagram stories with “snow” in it. “Snow” in San Antonio is one of those open to interpretation words because our version of snow isn’t really snow. It also almost always results in the city shutting down because no one knows how to drive in “snow”. But one thing we do know how to do is make chili! This Instant Pot Chili is going to be your new favorite cold weather soup recipe, whether it’s “snowing” or not!
What's the Secret to the Best Chili You've Ever Tasted
This Instant Pot chili is hands down the most flavorful chili I’ve ever made. I actually love to use ground venison, but ground beef also works fantastic. The real superstar of this chili is the sweet potato. Those soft sweet chunks of sweetness that balance out the robust flavor and spiciness of all the other ingredients makes for the perfect combination. If you don’t try this recipe, please add sweet potato to your other favorite chili recipes!
My best friend sent me a similar chili recipe from nom nom paleo last year and it was a hit. So much so that every time I would make it I would begin to tweak the spices, use different ground meats (venison is definitely my favorite), peppers and always add sweet potato.
Does this chili freeze well?
KISS Tip: Make a double batch and freeze half immediately so you’ll have a meal a few weeks from now. The recipe freezes really well! You could also freeze individual servings for easy lunch options!
The ultimate upgrade for this instant pot chili is the addition of gluten-free cornbread. My favorite is actually this H-E-B one (not for the ingredient list, but for the ease and taste). If you’re local and give it a try, let me know what you think!
KISS Instant Pot Chili
- Instant Pot
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1-2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 lbs ground beef or venison
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 14.5 oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 medium/large sweet potato (or 2 small), diced small
- Press the Sauté button on the Instant Pot and allow the insert to heat up (about 1 minute). Once the insert is hot, add 1 tablespoon of avocado oil and swirl around to cover the bottom of the insert.
- When the oil is hot, add the diced onion and bell pepper and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently until soft.
- Add the tomato paste and garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the ground beef or venison and 1 tsp of salt. Brown and break up the meat until no longer pink (about 5-7 minutes).
- Add the sweet potatoes, chili powder, oregano, and cumin, stirring until fragrant.
- Add the drained tomatoes, broth, and fish sauce. Stir and make sure all of the liquid is distributed well.
- Lock the lid and cook under high pressure for 15 minutes. (Select the “Pressure Cook” button and set the time for 15 minutes under high pressure. It will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure before it starts cooking).
- When the chili is finished cooking, release the pressure manually or let the pressure come down naturally.
- Top with cilantro and avocado and serve with gluten-free cornbread.
Pin for later: