Confession– this was my first experience baking eggs… *hits self in head*. Why haven’t I done this before? That second picture is where the money’s at- by breaking up the yolk a little bit, you end up with a nice blend of baked egg white and egg yolk.
-Add sauteed spinach, mushrooms, onions or other veggies to the egg mix when baking!
-Add a sprinkle of nutmeg, paprika or garlic powder for a hint of spice!
-Use a variety of cheese or English muffins so you don’t get burnt out on the same breakfast sandwich (although this one taste so good, not sure if the burn out is possible)!
Time: 20-25 minutes
1 dozen large eggs
1 1/2 cups sauteed vegetables, if desired
12 whole grain English Muffins
12 thick slices of ham, Canadian Bacon or deli meat
salt & pepper
12 slices reduced fat cheese (your favorite type)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 12 count muffin tin.
- Crack one egg in each hole and lightly beat each egg with a fork or whisk. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 12 minutes or until the eggs are firm. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap on the counter and place English muffin bottom on top of the plastic wrap. Place a slice of ham or meat of choice on the bottom layer, followed by one baked egg, cheese slice, followed by the English muffin top. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and set aside. Repeat with the remaining muffins, ham, egg and cheese.
- Place wrapped sandwiches in a tightly sealed freezer bag and place in freezer.
- To reheat sandwich, remove one sandwich from the freezer bag and remove plastic wrap. Wrap a moist paper towel around the sandwich and microwave for about 1 1/2 – 2 minutes in 30-45 second intervals until heated through. Remove from microwave and enjoy with a side of fruit!