Matcha. I’m embarrassed to say I hadn’t really had many matcha experiences of my own until just this past month. And matcha is apparently pretty trendy, so when all my colleagues and friends are into it- I felt like I needed to up my “dietitian and foodie” game and join the cool kids who like matcha. If you need to google it, there’s no shame- here’s the lowdown on matcha via Wiki.
To be on the safe side, I figured I’d give matcha a whirl (no pun intended) in a smoothie. And lucky for me- I found an awesome package of matcha on clearance at H-E-B (just in case I wasn’t ready for a long-term commitment to this powdered green tea).
*Disclaimer- I used a “Green Tea Latte with Matcha” mix- so it had some coconut sugar in there, making it extra delicious. However, I’m fairly confident pure matcha powder will taste just as delicious in the smoothie recipe below.
By now you may be wondering, WHY you may want to try matcha. Matcha is thought to have many health benefits, but in short- it’s packed with antioxidants- and we could all use some extra antioxidants :).
Matcha powder is bright and full of flavor so it pairs perfectly with fresh citrus and a little natural sweetness from frozen banana!
KISS Matcha Mandarin Smoothie
- 1 small frozen banana (or 1/2 of a large, frozen banana)
- 2 tsp pure matcha powder (or 1 scoop green tea latte powder)
- 1 mandarin, peeled
- 1/3 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup milk of choice (cow’s, almond, soy, etc.)*
- 1 scoop of your favorite unflavored protein powder, if desired
- Place all ingredients into blender and blend on high until smooth and desired consistency is achieved.
- For added nutrition, consider adding 1-3 tsp of flax, chia or hemp seeds!
Pin for later: