We are big muffin fans here at KISS in the Kitchen. I’ve been making blueberry muffins for Mr. KISS for more than 15 years now (I feel like that makes me sound really old) and our daughter’s favorite song is by far “The Muffin Man”. The sound she makes when it comes on is literally heart-melting. I think muffins are a great way to pack in some good-for-you ingredients, like fruits, even veggies, protein and definitely healthy fats. I had been craving a savory muffin for a while now and these are beyond my wildest muffin dreams!
I love the base of this muffin because it’s a delicious gluten-free breading with just a hint of sweetness from maple syrup. The salty cheddar and bacon on top make these muffins so decadent but are still pretty easy start to finish!
KISS Tip: Swap out your favorite breakfast meat or cheese variety to customize these muffins!
These are such a convenient way to have breakfast on-the-go. I rarely eat just a muffin for breakfast because I feel like I’m loading up on only carbs, but these bring a more balanced (and frankly, delicious) muffin option to the table!
KISS Tip: If you want to prep these weeks in advance, fully bake muffins without cheese and bacon on top. After muffins are completely cooled, freeze them in a freezer-safer container. You can thaw them, pop them in a muffin tin and into the oven for 2-3 minutes to melt bacon and cheese on top when you’re ready to enjoy them!
I hope y’all enjoy these super yummy muffins and that they’re a breakfast solution to your busy morning!
KISS Savory Breakfast Muffins
- 1 18-well muffin pan
- 2 cups gluten-free oat flour
- 2 cups packed, super-fine blanched almond flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or dairy-free milk of choice)
- 2 Tbsp grass-fed butter, melted
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar (or fresh lemon juice)
- 1 1/2 cups grass-fed sharp cheddar cheese + 1 cup reserved for topping
- 1 cup cooked and crumbled bacon reserved for topping
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Spray the inside of 18 muffin cups with avocado oil or cooking spray of choice.
- Whisk together 2 cups oat flour, almond flour, salt and baking soda in a large bowl.
- In a separate large bowl, mix together the eggs, maple syrup, almond milk, butter and apple cider vinegar until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Fold in 1 1/2 cups of cheese.
- Divide batter evenly between 18 muffin cups, filling 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until inserted toothpick comes out clean or just crumbly. Remove from oven.
- Top muffins with crumbled bacon and 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese.
- Return muffins to oven and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until the cheese is just melted.
- Remove muffins from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and place on wire rack to cool completely.
Pin for later: