This is a SUPER exciting week here at KISS in the Kitchen. The entire week is devoted to back to school and this is the first of several recipes and posts I’ve created to help save time and get your family fed the good stuff (that still tastes good!). This month’s The Recipe ReDux is all about protein-packed breakfasts, especially those on the savory side and I couldn’t be more fired up about this breakfast bake that’s bursting with flavor and nutrition! Did I mention it all cooks on the same pan and is done in under 30 minutes?
I honestly haven’t made many sheet pan meals before, but I foresee that changing because it just doesn’t get any easier! While in the early stages of recipe development, I actually did a Facebook Live to try out the recipe and you can tell what a cinch it is just by watching a few minutes! Click here to watch!
I was so excited that the first try creating this recipe resulted in a huge win- very few changes needed to what I showed in the video! And as you can see- a picture tells a thousand words. Or maybe just a thousand yums.
Here’s the skinny on this recipe- it’s packed with flavor, but you can adjust the spices to what your family likes. It’s gluten-free, dairy-free and with the baked eggs, you don’t even miss the cheese! That being said, cheese would be a delicious addition to sprinkle on top when it’s done baking.
You can serve it with salsa, tortillas and a side of fresh fruit to make this a truly balanced meal. You can also make it rain cilantro like I did because pretty much baked goods are the only thing not subject to cilantro in my house. So much love for this fresh herb!
Stay tuned this week for more recipes and ideas to help your family during this back to school season! And make sure to check out all the other breakfast recipes from this month’s The Recipe ReDux by clicking the link below the recipe!
Southwest Breakfast Sheet Pan Bake
- Oil or cooking spray (I prefer avocado oil for recipes above 350°)
- 1 medium sweet potato, chopped
- 1 medium potato, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper (or color of your choice), diced
- 2 zucchinis, sliced
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 Tbsp avocado oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves or 1 heaping Tbsp of jarred, minced garlic
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Salt & pepper (a few cracks of each from a grinder or about 1/4 tsp of each)
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped, fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 large or 2 small avocados
- 1 lime, sliced
- Preheat your oven to 425°. Using cooking spray or oil, lightly grease a rimmed baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, toss the chopped potatoes, zucchini, bell pepper and black beans in avocado oil. Add in the spices and mix until coated evenly. Place on the baking sheet and sprinkle with the salt and pepper, if desired.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are tender. Using a wooden spoon, mix the veggies once about 10 minutes into the cook time to keep from sticking/burning on one side.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and using a spatula or wooden spoon, create 6 wells in the vegetables*. Crack an egg into each well (I would suggest cracking each egg in a glass measuring cup then gently pouring into the well).
- Continue baking for 7-9 minutes or until eggs are set. Garnish with avocado, cilantro and a fresh squeeze of lime, if desired.
Pin for later: