Mother’s Day should honestly be celebrated more than once a year. Without our moms, where would we be? So if there’s one day dedicated to celebrating Mothers, let’s make it delicious!
I’m blessed to have SO many photos of my mom and I to choose from, BUT this is one of her favorites. This woman is so precious to me.
For as long as I can remember, mom and I have been making a family friend’s spinach quiche recipe. It’s out-of-this-world cheesy goodness and the recipe makes TWO pies, so it’s perfect for feeding a crowd or blessing an extra mom in your life with the gift of quiche. I mean, let’s face it- quiche is mom food. Quiche screams Mother’s Day, not Father’s Day. And if your mom isn’t a big fan of meat, this recipe is perfect because it’s vegetarian-friendly, while still packed with nutrition and protein from cheese, eggs, milk and spinach!
This recipe is also super simple- even the kids can help! Yet, there’s just something about quiche that seems kinda fancy. PLUS it’s a cinch to make a complete Mother’s Day brunch or breakfast by just adding some fresh berries or mom’s favorite fruit on the side.
Using frozen spinach makes this recipe a breeze- the spinach cooks in the microwave in just a few minutes while you’re chopping onions. A pinch of nutmeg in the spinach-onion mix gives a uniquely scrumptious flavor!
KISS Tip #1: You can find these pie protectors at kitchen stores or just wrap thin pieces of foil around the pie edge to keep it from burning!
KISS Tip #2: If you want to get real crazy, double the recipe. You’ll be hard pressed to find another recipe THIS easy that’s actually a meal, and you’ll have FOUR pies to enjoy and bless a mom in your life with a homemade quiche.
Look at that cheesy goodness!
KISS Spinach Cheese Quiche
Serves: Each pie yields 6 servings; recipes makes 2 pies
Time: 15 minutes hands on, 30 minutes oven (Total 45 minutes)
2 pie shells of choice
10 oz frozen chopped spinach
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1 1/2 Tbsp butter
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 cups your favorite cheese- Colby Jack/Cheddar/Mozarella or a blend all work well
2 cups whole milk
- Remove pie shells from freezer, prick and prebake at 350 degrees for 5-7 minutes or until slightly puffed. See above KISS Tip for avoiding burning the pie crust.
- Cook spinach according to package instructions and drain excess water
- Saute chopped onion in butter, 1/4 tsp black pepper & 1/8 tsp salt over medium heat until onions slightly softened (about 3-5 minutes).
- Add spinach and nutmeg to onions, stir for 1-2 minutes and remove from heat
- Mix 1 1/2 cups cheese, milk, eggs and remaining salt & pepper in large bowl.
- Add spinach and onion mixture and mix well.
- Pour half of mixture in each pie shell and bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until center is firm.
Wishing all the moms out there an incredibly joyful and blessed Mother’s Day!