It’s officially the week of Thanksgiving- I kinda can’t believe it. In full transparency, this week is hard. The holidays are hard- they’re different this year for a multitude of reasons, but regardless of any life changes, there are still countless things to be grateful for. Countless ways to give to others. Gratitude. Giving. Thanksgiving… Thanksliving. “And when Thanksgiving becomes Thanksliving- we not only give thanks for the gifts in our life- we want to become a gift in other people’s lives” …I borrowed those words from the lovely Ann Voskamp because I’m just not that eloquent, and less than a minute spent reading her books or blog, you begin to feel a stirring in your soul to step outside yourself and give.
Okay lovely people, I know you came here for a recipe, but sometimes you get a little more than you bargained for. #sorrynotsorry
This month’s The Recipe ReDux’s is focusing on healthy holiday desserts to share with loved ones and I’m all about a recipe that can double as a breakfast staple or sweet treat! Enter, Blueberry Waffle Overnight Waffle Bake. *droool*
This Wild Blueberry Waffle Bake is one for the record books and is the perfect addition to your list of overnight casseroles needed for the holidays.
You’re not seeing things- those are waffles. This recipe seriously couldn’t be any easier with frozen (gluten-free) waffles, frozen wild blueberries, maple syrup and a simple egg and milk mix.
This recipe works well with any type of dairy or plant based milk! I used unsweetened coconut/almond and it was still creamy and delicious.
Although this delicious goodness is totally dessert worthy, it’s also nutritious enough for breakfast! The eggs provide quality protein while also creating a custard-like texture…. and, I can vouch for enjoying this dish any time of the day ;).
It’s one thing to feed a crowd, it’s another thing to please a crowd. Although it’s scrumptious straight from the oven, a little drizzle of maple syrup completes the experience. Actually.. whipped cream, THAT could possibly be the ultimate completion, but I didn’t go that far. Let me know if you do, though!
KISS Wild Blueberry Overnight Waffle Bake
- 8 gluten-free frozen waffles
- 1 1/2 cups wild frozen blueberries
- 8 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened plant-based milk of choice (I love Ripple Milk)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup + extra for drizzling, if desired
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Break 4 frozen waffles in halves and arrange on bottom of a medium sized (8X8 or 9X9 works well) greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle 3/4 cup of frozen wild blueberries on top of waffles.
- Beat eggs and mix with plant milk, vanilla, maple syrup and cinnamon. Pour half over waffle and blueberry layer.
- Repeat with layer of 4 frozen waffles (8 halves), 3/4 cup wild blueberries and remaining half of egg mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight*.
- Preheat oven to 350. Bake for approximately 60-70 minutes or until middle is set and toothpick or knife comes out clean. Enjoy!
Pin for later: