It’s World Breastfeeding week! Congrats to all the mommas out there- whether breastfeeding or not, you rock- because you’re a mom! Sooooo lactation cookies- it’s a thing. These little bites of goodness taste amazing and have ingredients like oats, ground flax and brewer’s yeast that can boost milk supply (for some women). The research is mixed on whether they will boost your milk supply, BUT hey, we’re talking about cookies here (actually these are cookie bars). Postpartum or not- I never met a cookie I didn’t like. These cookies taste amazing and are a wholesome treat for any new mom.
And if you’re not a nursing mom and just want a delish vegan gluten free cookie bar recipe, ditch the brewer’s yeast and enjoy!
These cookie bars have awesome natural sweetness from ripe banana, maple syrup and a hint of sweetness from dark chocolate chips. These would also be awesome baked with dried cranberries and your favorite nut!
The fact that this recipe is made in the Vitamix, blender or food processor is a dream come true… it’s a cinch to throw everything in and half an hour later be munching on these warm cookie bars.
Sprinkle a few extra chocolate chips on the top….. just because.
The middle of the bars are almost cakey- you can either bake them a little longer or enjoy the fact that you have a beautiful baked item that is part cookie, part cake and part bar. #triplewordscore PLUS- with these ingredients, you don’t have to worry about uncooked egg so if you eat a slightly less cooked middle portion, no big thang.
This vegan recipe is perfect for any momma with food restrictions. Many moms I work with are often limiting dairy because of their little one’s possible food sensitivities, so this recipe doesn’t have to be modified- it’s already allergen friendly (minus the almond butter!).
KISS Vegan Chocolate Banana Lactation Cookie Bars
- Vitamix, blender,or food processor
- 2 cups gluten-free rolled oats (or 1 1/2 cups gluten free oat flour- Bob’s Red Mill works great!)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup almond-coconut milk (or your milk of choice)
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed
- 2 tbsp water
- 2-4 tbsp Brewer’s yeast (omit if not nursing)
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup Enjoy Life dark chocolate morsels or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8×8 baking pan with cooking spray.
- Mix 1 Tbsp ground flax with 2 Tbsp water and let sit for 3-5 minutes. (Remaining 1 Tbsp flax seed is mixed with other ingredients in the blender).
- In a Vitamix, blender or food processor add all ingredients, except chocolate chips. Blend/process until smooth.
- Stir in chocolate chips with a spatula or spoon.
- Add mixture into greased baking dish.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Pin for later: